Friday, August 28, 2009

What A Difference Training Makes

My training has been up & down since I began earlier this year. The last few weeks, however, have been an anamoly of sorts. First, after months and months of gradual (painfully slow) increase, I nearly hit my first 50 mile week. The very next day I suffered my first major setback that basically sidelined me for a month. I was able to run a few short runs here and there, but I was lucky to hit 8 or 10 miles a week. I went on a few vacations and just started working back up to my scheduled training last week.

I have a sickness. Once I'm wrapped up in something, I go all out and my brain tells me I can recover like I'm still 12 years old or something. Reality taught me the hard way this year! Approaching 30 and trying to increase my mileage too quickly has been entirely too much. After my most recent (major) setback, I decided to do some research. I've been doing some focused strength training to get my knee back to running form and it's helped immensely! That training, coupled with a great hunting trip last week have left my leg feeling stronger than ever. Not once during the steep-graded, bushwacking downhills, nor during the camp-off-your-back-with-a-50-pound-pack (hey, I rhymed) hiking did my knee bother me either. It only got stronger!

Which leads me up to this week... Thus far, I've had 3 very successful runs this week, including a back-to-back. No pain anywhere. My schedule calls for a 20 miler tomorrow. Of course I'd love to hit 20, but the reality is that I don't think I'm quite there yet. We'll see how the run goes, but if I feel even the slightest tweak or any major fatigue in my body, I'm calling it quits! I cannot afford to take anymore chances. With the marathon only 5 weeks away and my first ultra 3 weeks after that, there's no more messin' around with this guy! Time to put the hammer down.

No comments: