Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fantasies

Running has been coming up in conversation a lot lately. Whether it’s family, friends, those at social gatherings, or people I meet out on the trail, the topic seems to surface. For the most part, I don’t go into detail about what kind of training I do or what kind of races I run. I just tell people that I enjoy running. I’m pretty reserved in general and I never want to come off as boastful. I love what I do and I’m proud of myself, so I don’t need validation from others to make me feel good.

Recently though, I’ve been asked by a few people (including Lydia) what my fantasy race or ultra goal is. Honestly, it’s not something I’d thought much about prior to being asked. I’ve felt like I didn’t want to undermine or belittle Wasatch, either. I know, lame. Really though, ever since hearing of my dad pacing a neighbor at Wasatch some 15 years ago, it’s been a fantasy of mine... One of those things you think about once in awhile, but never something that little ol’ me could possibly do!

With the recent running of the Western States, Hardrock, and Badwater ultramarathons, I’ve thought more about my fantasy ultra goal. Someday I’d love to run Western States and experience it as told from so many. And Hardrock is definitely at the very top of my list! Although these types of races may be considered more “iconic” or “tougher”, Wasatch is and always will be, my fantasy! I’m just hoping it doesn’t become my nightmare too :)

So it’s time to keep pushing myself every day. I’m getting to the meat of my training and it feels great! I’m focused and it helps me live my life with greater meaning and a better sense of direction. Hard to believe that I’ll be living my fantasy in just over 8 weeks! How many people can say that?!?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, I understand how you feel on everybody asking you regarding "running". The only reason I do, is because Cole always gets asked about "bodybuilding". Just know it's a hot topic since it's not normal. People don't run as much as you so it's incredible to us that your body and your mind can do that:)

Anonymous said...

Nuria, I'm glad you can appreciate and understand how I feel. I love talking with people about their passions, just never wanna come across cocky when talking about mine :)

Anonymous said...

You should be MORE cocky Jsh! You are a freaking machine and we are all so proud of you...

LYDIA said...

Aww, I love you guys! Thanks for supporting my husband! I really appreciate and love that we have such great friends. To my baby, what you do is incredible! Keep up the good work :)