Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Time For An Update

Can't believe it's been almost two months since the last post.  I've got all sorts of excuses but I'll spare anyone who actually reads this.  The one piece of good personal news to report is that my divorce is final as of last week.  Glad to have that behind me!  So where to begin...

Zion was a good indication that things were on the mend.  My nagging ITBS problem and my mostly healed ankle felt really good after the trip.  Like, really good!  Even my legs weren't very sore afterward, which was quite surprising considering I hadn't run more than 17 miles since January.  Leave it to me to mess things up, though!  The very first long-ish run I did after Zion was a 10 miler, marking the course for the HOMM Marathon up Butterfield Canyon with Craig and Matt.  The run went really well until - with about a mile left to go - I decided to face plant on the trail.  I went down so hard that I jumped right back up and finished the run.  I knew if I sat there I'd stiffen up and my friends would have to carry me out.  I ended up with a 3/4 inch gash on my kneecap that went through to the bone and an enormous bruise.

Here I sit nearly two months after that incident and my knee is still swollen.  It took 3 weeks to even walk normal again, then another week or so to finally get running again.  So there you have it; 5 months worth of injuries for this guy!  I'm happy to report (knock on wood) that I'm injury free and I've been back in training again for a full month.  I feel like my fitness is finally coming back slowly as well.  All great indications for the fun-filled summer I have ahead.

Unfortunately, I won't be in top shape to run Speedgoat hard in 2 and half weeks.  I'm ok with that though; I'll just run it as a really nice training run.  Yeah, I just used the word "nice" in conjunction with Speedgoat... I'm losing my marbles.

I'm heading up tomorrow a.m. to run Utah's Triple Crown with Craig and Scott.  It should be an adventure!  I'll have some nice pics and a short write-up to post upon my return.

No comments: