Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Scratching The Itch

Typically, my planned day off from running each week falls on Sunday. Of course, I usually end up taking random days off here and there as needed, but that’s neither here nor there. Sundays are my lazy day; a day to rest from the other six jam-packed days of the week. Really just a great day for me to recharge in general!

Every now and then I’ll get an itch on Sunday, though. A few weeks ago I got the itch to get up in the mountains while the weather was still in my favor. Good thing I did too, since it snowed the next day which forced the closing of that canyon road. Then Sunday I woke up to seven or eight inches of fresh snow outside. I don’t particularly like snow (mostly because I’m forced to drive in it), but Sunday was an exception. I got up and just knew I had to get rid of the itch… So I scratched!

After a quick breakfast and change of clothes, I ran out the door and headed to the Jordan River Parkway trail. The trail is very close to my house and it allows me to get off the roads. In fact, I do the majority of my flatland training here due to easy access and lack of cars (read: no cars). What awaited me was pure running bliss! I hopped onto the trail and only saw one other set of footprints for the first half mile or so. From there to my appointed turnaround (about 3 more miles) was fresh, untouched snow. There were literally hundreds of downed branches and trees that made blazing a new trail that much more fun, along with having to push my legs through the moderately deep snow. My Wildcats helped secure my footing and my base layers kept me warm. If only every winter run was so much fun!

Of course the biggest boneheaded move of the day was not taking my camera! I went back last night to get a few pics of my winter playground but the atmosphere just wasn't the same. In fact, it wasn't even close!  Too much traction and melt off left things a sloppy mess.  I really hate lugging my camera around too. Here I am making it sound enormous when it’s actually just a normal compact camera. Anyone know of anything small, light, and convenient to take on a run?

All in all my Sunday excursion was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. After my 19 mile endeavor on Saturday, my legs were a bit taxed and my route that normally takes about 48 minutes, turned into 62 minutes with sore legs and fresh snow. The solitude and scenery were absolutely worth it, though! I’ll give up my regular rest day for a run like this any time!

No comments: