Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Time To Be Thankful

With the Thanksgiving holiday upon us, it's a time to reflect on all the things we've been blessed with.  As much as I complain about injuries and life frustrations on here, I truly have much to be thankful for.  I have the most amazing woman that I can proudly call my wife!  I have an awesome and very supportive family.  I've been blessed with the ability and health to travel distances on my own two feet.  And I live in a nation where I'm free to share thoughts and opinions with those who care to read or listen.  I am truly blessed!

This time of year is also a time to start thinking about my schedule for next year.  With lotteries for many ultra events coming up over the course of the next month or so, it's time to start planning for 2011.  I've had numerous people ask what's next for me.  For those not engulfed in the running world, they ask what's next once you've completed a 100 mile race?  The way I see it, you can go three different ways:
  1. You can go further and start doing multi-day events/longer distances.
  2. You can cut back to shorter distances like marathons, half-marathons, 10K's, etc.
  3. You can try to set new personal-best times at the distances you're currently running.
I'm going with the third option.  I have no desire to go any further for the time being.  I also have no desire to go shorter since I do plenty of it in training.  So I think for now I'll just stick with what I'm doing and try to set new PR's for myself.  I've decided the best option for 2011 is to do the same races I did in 2010 with the intent on trying to improve my times at each of them.  I've already got some time goals in my head for each race.  So, I'll be running the Buffalo Run 50 Mile, Speedgoat 50K, and (lotteries willing) the Squaw Peak 50, and Wasatch 100.

I've also been toying with the idea of doing at least 1 more 100 miler next year, and maybe even 2.  I've got 3 other 100's on my radar and will make some decisions once the lottery for Wasatch is over.  For now though, it's just about time to get my entries in and start crossing my fingers for the lotteries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those sound like great things to be thankful for and great goals for the future.