Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Transitioning to Wider, Lighter, Faster

Preface:  This is not meant to be a shoe review.  This is a post about my transition into a better shoe for me.  It just so happens that my shoe of choice is a brand and concept that is relatively new, which is why I felt a need to go over some key concepts the shoe has to offer.

My main goal in the off-season this year is to transition into a better shoe; a better shoe for me that is.  Shoes are something that should be based on personal preference and form, not necessarily what's the most-hyped or the prettiest.  To find personal success as an ultrarunner, I feel that I need to get over my lower leg problems.  Posterior tibialis (specifically posterior shin splints) and blisters are the main culprits.  Posterior Tib happens when I run on the flats too much, and blisters only present problems in 100 milers.
The objective is to force myself into better form (to prevent the lower leg problems) and a wider shoe (to get over blisters).  I really don't buy into the whole minimalist trend that's currently spreading in the running community.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that minimal shoes force one into good form, but it's not realistic to wear a minimal shoe on long runs with technical trail under your feet.  The ideal shoe would be something that's wide, light, promotes good form, and has cushion.  Luckily, I have some great friends who've introduced me to the new local shoe brand, Altra. 



Altra branded the term "Zero Drop" which is exactly what the shoe offers.  Zero drop refers to the difference in ride height between the heel and the forefoot.  So there's none of the bulk in the heel that promotes bad form and plenty of cushion for a comfortable ride.  This is the most comfortable I've ever worn... hands down.  I wear them every day, all day, and they fit like a glove on my foot.  I'm only using their road version currently - the Instinct - just to work into the shoe.  Just like any "minimal" shoe, you need to start light and really work into them, focusing on a proper midfoot strike and overall form.  I have no idea how long the transition will take for me, but so far, so good.  I'm up to 6 miles in them and I'm hoping to put in a few back-to-back days in the upcoming weeks.

If the Altras work out on the road, I'll think about switching to their trail shoes that everyone is talking about, the Lone Peaks.  In order to keep my mileage and fitness up though, for now I'll stick to what I'm using on the trails.  The fact is, I won't REALLY know what's right for me until I put a shoe to the test in an ultra.  Luckily, I've got a few months on my hands to sort things out, so there's no time like the present.