Tuesday, July 7, 2009

And Just When It Starts Going Good...

...I experience a setback. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I haven't trained seriously for anything in the last 10 years? Maybe it's because I'm getting older? Whatever the case may be, I hate injuries! And I'm noticing a trend now that I'm actually writing all this stuff down... That I'm having to take a day off every week due to injury. So, it's time to pull back on the reins this week.

First of all, the injury I have is not debilitating, it's just something that I don't want to get worse. It's known as posterior tibial tendonitis. It's basically just an inflammation of the tendon that starts under my foot, runs behind my ankle and connects with a muscle under my calf. It doesn't hurt too bad walking on it, but the constant pounding of the pavement is not allowing it to get any better. So, I'm just gonna cut back on the miles for a few weeks, then build up a bit more slowly. I honestly think I just jumped into constant high mileage a little too quickly. Apparently, I'm not Superman like I thought.

So the plan for this week is to simply cut down on distance. Tonight I plan on hitting the eliptical at the gym to see how the ankle's doing. If all goes well, I'll head to the mountains on Wednesday for a nice short, flat trail run. Thursday is my day off, then I'll do an easy jog on Friday and a longer run on Saturday. Hopefully all goes well, but for now it's ibuprofen, ice, and ace wraps. Gotta love it!

Totals since last post:

Thursday: off
Friday: 4.5 mi
Saturday: 12.0 mi
Sunday: off
Monday: injury day

1 comment:

LYDIA said...

I do love it... that's the thing...