Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sometimes You Just Need A Good Break

Turns out my idea to tone it down a bit has worked out pretty well. Even though I probably shouldn't have, I actually ended up taking the weekend off. I figure that I'm 12 weeks out from the marathon and rather than continue with some ailments, I could sacrifice a few days to get healed up. And it seems to have worked! I'm feeling much better in just about every category so that's definitely a positive.

So after 3 full days off, I ran last night after work and felt pretty good. I did a 6.5 mile route in the 86 degree heat in 51:17 (including water breaks). Pretty good considering. Obviously not my best day, but it feels good when you don't have to run through pain. Tonight I plan on a speed workout so it should be pretty short and sweet. Then tomorrow I've got my mountain run scheduled so we'll see how the legs hold up after that. For now, all's good in the hood!

I also started keeping track of my food intake this past week. I'm trying to balance out what I'm eating daily which I'm hoping will yield results in my running. I'm averaging right around 3,000 calories a day with around a 55:25:20 ratio (carbs, fat, protein). I'll start tweaking this a bit as I find what works for me, but also as I continue to increase my mileage.

Totals since last post:

Wednesday: 5.0 mi
Thursday: 4.0 mi
Friday: off
Saturday: off
Sunday: off
Monday: 6.5 mi

No comments: