Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Slowly Building Up

After about 4 1/2 hours of sleep (partially due to the terrible pullout bed in the condo), I awoke around 5 am on Saturday for my longest run to date. Luckily I got it in early and in a new environment in Park City, so there wasn't the usual monotony associated with my weekday runs. I ended up doing a modified loop on a long outdoor trail they have up there. Temp was hovering around 45 degrees when I started, and it took about 40 of those first 50 minutes to warm up. Yikes! My pace was comfortable though and I finished the first 6.5 mile loop in just over 50 minutes. Then I met my dad and sister at the start of the loop where we ran the 6 mile version together in almost exactly an hour. Way to go Britt on your longest run ever! I honestly felt like I could go at least one more loop, but decided I should stop while I'm ahead.

Monday was a completely different story! You'd think that after taking Sunday off I would be back in top form. However, it took all of about 15 minutes for temperatures in the mid-90's to wipe that out! The schedule only called for 4 miles with a few sprints, but since I'm trying to increase my miles a bit, I decided to run half an hour out, and half an hour (or so) back. Ended up going about 28 minutes out and 31 back for a total of 59:18. More importantly though, I got some good training in the heat and a good sense of how much water I should be taking in.

I had trouble waking up Tuesday and felt a bit lethargic at work. However, I decided to head up the canyon for my weekly mountain run. The destination: Mill D trail in Big Cottonwood up to Desolation Lake and back. With a loop around the lake at the end, it's about 8 miles total. I struggled up to the lake in just over an hour, then pulled out the camera for some scenery, threw my pack on, then made my way around the lake and back down the trail. Total time was 1:37:40, of which 5 minutes was spent getting a bug out of my eye on the way down . Not too bad considering how I felt.


After my mountain run I started feeling some tightness in my ankle. After I woke up today it's just progressively gotten worse, so I decided I'm taking tonight off to ice up and rest up. Then I'm hoping to plow through some cross-training on Thursday, and some long Friday, and Saturday morning runs. But I'm tired now so it's off to bed...

Totals since last post:

Saturday: 12.5 mi
Sunday: off
Monday: 7.5 mi
Tuesday: 8.0 mi
Wednesday: injury day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Josh! You are doing so GOOD!