Friday, June 26, 2009

Time For Some Fresh Air

The other day I decided it was time to get up in the mountains. Haven't spent much time up any of what I call "The Big 3" (Big, Little, Millcreek) this year due to the heavy snow, so I thought it was about time. I rushed out of work at about 4:30 and drove to the S-curve up Big Cottonwood Canyon and headed up the Mill B North trail. This is a trail that I've very familiar with as I usually make this hike a few times every year. Let me tell you though, this thing is a BEAST when you're running it as opposed to hiking it! It's something like 1,000 feet elevation gain per mile.

After struggling up the mountain, I finally made it to the sign where Mill B North meets up with Porter Fork. From here into Mill A Basin is pretty flat. I didn't have much time though, so I continued ahead another half mile or so before I had to turn around. After taking a short break and getting a little food in me, I made my way back and snapped a couple nice pics.

From the south side of Mt Raymond with Broad's Fork Twin Peaks ahead


Some nice scenery to the west (minus that beat-down guy in the foreground)

After I put the camera away, it was game on to see how fast I could get down the mountain! In all my stupidity though, I decided to start eating while I was running. Big mistake! Now, a lot of people experience stomach problems while eating on the run. Not me though; I can eat just about anything on the go and keep it down. That's not where the problem was, though. The problem was when I decided to try to get the last few bits of trail mix out of the bag by putting it up to my face. Even that action itself isn't too bad as long as my view isn't completely blocked. Add some big rocks and a small creek into the mix though, and it's a recipe for disaster! Sure enough, I step on the side of a large rock and just as I'm going to push off, my foot slips out from under me... BAM! All my weight bears down on the rock and now I'm sportin this lovely gem...

My new friend on the outside of my thigh

Lucky me. I guess it all comes with the territory though. Running around in God's country (as I like to call the mountains) is most definitely not always rosy, but it's definitely not boring! Anyways, I walked it off for a second and got my legs back under me again, then proceeded to run the rest of the way down the mountain. Total trip was about 2 hours 25 minutes, though it took less than 50 minutes to get down even with the mishap. I'm still pretty sore today and the swelling in my leg is probably at it's peak (not to mention the sweet bruise is starting to turn a nice blueish-purple), but at least it wasn't any more serious.

Miles so far this week:

Sunday: off
Monday: 4.0 mi
Tuesday: 8.0 mi
Wednesday: injury day
Thursday: off
Friday: 3.5 mi

Headin to Park City for the weekend so I'm hoping to get a nice long run in up there tomorrow, and maybe do some hiking later in the day or on Sunday. Should be good times!

1 comment:

LYDIA said...

I think your wound looks worse in person